Guidance and counselling/information, advice and guidance (IAG)
Definition 1: Range of activities designed to help individuals to take educational, vocational or personal decisions and to carry them out before and after they enter the labour market.
Comments: guidance and counselling may include:
– counselling (personal or career development, educational guidance);
– assessment (psychological or competence/performance related);
– information on learning and labour market opportunities and career management;
– consultation with peers, relatives or educators;
– vocational preparation (pinpointing skills/competences and experience for job-seeking);
– referrals (to learning and career specialists);
– guidance and counselling can be provided at schools, training centres, job centres, the workplace, the community or in other settings.
Source: Cedefop, 2008.
Source: Cedefop (2014).Terminology of European education and training policy. Second Edition. A selection of 130 key terms. Luxembourg: Publications office of the European Union.
Definition 2: Services and activities intended to assist individuals of any age and at any point throughout their lives, to make educational, training and occupational choices and to manage their careers. Such services may be found in schools, universities and colleges, in training institutions, in public employment services, in the workplace, in the voluntary or community sector and in the private sector. The activities may take place on an individual or group basis, and may be face-to-face or at a distance (including help lines and web-based services). They include career information provision (in print, ICT-based and other forms), assessment and self-assessment tools, counselling interviews, career education programmes (to help individuals develop their self-awareness, opportunity awareness, and career management skills), taster programmes (to sample options before choosing them), work search programmes, and transition services. (Source: OECD & European Commission 2004).
Source: IBE (2013). Glossary of curriculum terminology, IBE-UNESCO.
Definition 3: Process of assisting individuals and groups to develop realistic and satisfying goals, plans, and activities (Note: "Counselling" is one aspect of the total process of "Guidance").
Source: ACER (2007). Australian Thesaurus of Education Descriptors, Australia.