DEFINITION 1: Anyone who fulfils one or more activities linked to the (theoretical or practical) training function, either in an institution for education or training, or at the workplace.
(a) two categories of trainer can be distinguished:
– professional trainers are training specialists whose job may coincide with that of the teacher in a vocational training establishment;
– part-time or occasional trainers are professionals in various fields who take on, in their normal duties, part-time training activity, either in-company (as mentors and tutors of recruits and apprentices or as training providers) or externally (by occasionally offering their services at a training establishment);
(b) trainers may carry out various tasks:
- design training activities;
- organise and implement these activities;
- provide the actual training, i.e. transfer knowledge, know-how and skills;
- help apprentices develop their skills by providing advice, instructions and comments throughout the apprenticeship.
SOURCE: Terminology of European education and training policy-a selection of 100 key terms. . CEDEFOP, Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 2008.
DEFINITION 2: Anyone who fulfils one or more activities linked to the theoretical or practical training function, either in an institution for education or training, or in the workplace.
SOURCE: ET2020 Working Group on Vocational Education and Training/European Commission (nd). High-performance apprenticeships & work-based learning: 20 guiding principles, European Ubion.
RELATED TERMS: teacher