Brief description of the context of the VET system in Latvia
The Vocational Education stipulates that VET programmes are classified as follows:
- Vocational education programmes last for 3 years and are foreseen for students without a certificate of basic education (after completion of at least 7 grades of basic education, but they must be at least 15 years old); graduates receive a certificate of vocational initial education and vocational qualification level 1 (EQF Level 2);
- Vocational education programmes (partial secondary level vocational education) last for 2-3 years for students with basic education or persons at least 15 years old, and graduates receive a Certificate of vocational basic education and vocational qualification Level 2 (EQF 3);
- Vocational upper-secondary educational programmes take 4 years and are open to students who have completed compulsory basic education. Graduates receive a Diploma of vocational secondary education and vocational qualification Level 3 (EQF 4);
- Post-secondary non-tertiary vocational education (ISCED 4) can be followed after graduating from general secondary schools. They are focused towards mastering purely professional skills and knowledge.
- First level professional higher education (college education) programmes (2-3 years) leading to vocational qualification Level 4 (ISCED 5B, EQF 5);
- Second level professional higher education (ISCED 5A) leading to vocational qualification Level 5 (4-6 years, EQF Level 6). Having completed a programme, students are awarded with a professional qualification or a professional Bachelor’s degree that can be followed by a further 1-2 years of professional Master’s studies. The Master’s degree of higher professional education is awarded if the total duration of studies is at least 5 years.
- Professional continuing education programmes enables adults with previous education and work experience to obtain professional qualifications;
- Professional development educational programmes are for people regardless of their age and previous education or professional qualifications to master systematized professional knowledge and skills.
For more information please click here
Information on EQAVET indicators
Please click here